Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Battenkill

I just bought Super Mario Bros 3 and I had to force myself to put down the controller to update my blog. That is what I call dedication.
This past weekend Team Mountain Khakis fueled by Jittery Joes went up to upstate NY to compete in the 120 mile half pavement/ half gravel all hilly road race. I don't even know what to say about this race other than my hands were really cold for a while.
166 racers started and I believe only 50 some finished. The race was super fast from the gun and stayed fast the entire time. We finished the race in 5 hours and considering how hilly the course was and how much dirt/mud there was that is a fast pace.
The weather started out about 40 and overcast, but at about mile 40, it started pouring and the dirt roads turned to mud and my hands became so numb that i could barely shift my gears. It rained for about an hour and during that hour I was near tears and wondering why the f I do stuff like this. Thankfully the rain stopped and once my hands were dry I found myself still wondering why I do stuff like this.
The race is a pure attrition race and Joey and myself managed to finish in the lead group for 22 and 26th. We were happy just to finish as a ton of people did not.

We have the Honda Insight up and running for the season now. Pretty neat car, and it still gets almost 30 miles to the gallon with 5 bikes on the roof.

On the way up to race we stayed at the Lea's house and they converted and old barn into a guest house/weight room. It was amazing there and they are awesome for letting us crash there.

I'm sad that I have to clean my bike now.

and my shoes...

Joey and me after the finish. I'm not goosing him, I promise.


This saturday is ATHENS TWILIGHT!!!!!

2 comments:

Sean said...

All I can think of saying is, "better you than me." Maybe that, and, stop by Northstar the next time you're in town, weinerface. I just added your blog to my GoogleReader, and it's a great read.

Take care,
Sean Jones

p.s. yeah, that Sean Jones.

Jim said...

Glad to see you wrote about Battenkill. I sent it on to friends. As I said, makes me glad that I don't make my money racing on a bike. It was hard!