Monday, April 03, 2006

race recap

Good stuff is going on down here in the SE. The A&F team was in full effect at the rock hill omnium. There were three events, the street sprints on fri night, crit on sat night, and rr on sunday morning.

calm before the storm
The street sprints were a riot. 7 people in each heat, the winner would move on to the final and 2nd and 3rd place in each heat would go on to a last chance qualifyer. I got second in my heat and rich harper (rockstar teamate) won his. Jeremy (teamate) also got second so the two of us went on to the last chance qualifyer where jeremy gave me the leadouts of all leadouts. I ended up winning that heat and moving on to the final. In the final I led out rich and worked great but we got pimped by some guy who obviously trained specifically for this event--he was moving. So as a result rich was 2nd in the ominium and I was 4th.

yea that's right!
The crit was intense. 120 starters and I as usual ended up lining up at the very back. It was a technical course, but a good course for a bigger guy, lot of high speed turns. I ended up getting in a break about 10 minutes in with Jed Schneider and Scottie Weiss and we rolled. We took turns and just kept on cranking, we didn't sprint for primes or try to mess with each other. We worked really hard together and at one point we were basically caught, but we kept on cranking never giving up. The teams that missed the break were driving the field and just blowing people out the back left and right. We kept on cranking and cranking and eventually we were out of sight again. On the last lap we started looking at each other. Scottie attacked and I waited for the others to chase, jed did for a little bit, then sat up. I jumped across to scottie and then attacked before the second to last corner and held on for the finish. It was by far the biggest win of my life. I was sooo happy afterwards. I even signed an autograph. Photos courtesy of Rock Hill Bicycle Club

The road race was a death march. To win the omnium, I just had to make sure that scottie and jed didn't win. I sat in most of the day and my teamates worked like dogs. They were awesome...they just buried themselves to keep things together. They rock. I ended up sprinting way too early and just finished with the field, but I still won the omnium. GOOD STUFF.

It sure is fun racing on my team, they are a bunch of characters and I couldn't ask for cooler people to race with.

So the b&b is open again this week. My brother and his wife are here as is the notorious mark hendershot so I am sure I will have a bunch of crazy stories in the next couple days.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats. we're proud of you...
elise & milo.

Anonymous said...

the hekman bulge!

Tim Jackson- Masi Guy said...

Masi is very proud indeed.

Congratulations my friend.

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Mark! Your male parental unit forwarded me your blog and I read some of your previous postings. You sound truly happy with all you're doing.

Willa

Jeremy Grimm said...

After I got dropped in the Crit. I took some pics of Mark. I also was cheering for my Hero! I had a hunch Mark would win, he was solid!

Great job Hekman!

Grimmy

Dennis said...

Way to deliver a solid ass kicking! I've added a link to your blog to mine. Give me a holla if you are planning on coming West. ~ Dennis

http://guikema.blogspot.com

Deb said...

Quotes from Jacob:
"Cool picture, Uncle Mark"
"I love you Uncle Mark"
"Mark, can you come over someday?"

Quotes from Karissa:
"He looks scary"
"I like to play with Uncle Mark."
"I love him!"

Quotes from Brianna:
"zzzzzzzzzzzzzz" (she's sleeping)

Danielle said...

And to think that we used to be on the same team....

Awesome job!!!

close to the edge said...

Bring some of that smack-down to Ohio! Show TRH what time it is!