Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I went motorpacing...southern style

My new bike is awesome, I built it up this morning without to much cussing and took it out on a ride. It handles awesome and it just seems to fit perfectly under me. It is so stable that I rode down pilot mt no handed eating a powerbar and talking on my cell phone. I wish I had a camera to take pictures of it--it is so hot!!

So I took it out on a ride, it is awesome here today; 70 and sunny with no wind. I went way north on rt 8 and then looped around through hanging rock and saurtown. I was about an hour and a half away from home going down this hill when this crusty old southerner passed me on a moped--not a scooter--but a moped--with no helmet on and drinking a 40. NO JOKE. A moped is a mini motorized bike that has the bike pedals on it. Anyway he passed me on the downhill and I was thinking it would be cool to pace off of him, but he was quite a bit ahead at this point. Well on the uphill, the thing got so bogged down that I was able to catch up, and at the top we were hauling. I must have drafted him for 30 minutes, it was awesome--it was a great workout, because I would have to kill it to keep up with him on the downhills, but the pace uphill was pretty cool. The only downside was that he was smoking the entire time--I mean the entire time. I guess you have to chain smoke because it is hard to light them while you are going 30 mph. I ended up sweeping from side to side and trying to anticipate the exhales so I would avoid them. I would have loved to get a picture of that. This old guy with no teeth drinking a 40, smoking, and driving this old piece of a moped, while I pace off him in my abercrombie kit. I'm not enitrely sure he even knew i was behind him. I was worried that he would look back and freak out, but he didn't. It was priceless.

My brother and sister-in law are coming down on sunday for a few days--that should be a ton of fun. They have this cool dog named oscar--he is a weimeriner (sp?) Anyway I am looking forward to the company. I have realized that I enjoy things more when there are people around. Mark Hendershot will be joining us as well so its going to be like spring break north carolina style....if only I had a hot tub.

5 comments:

Tim Jackson- Masi Guy said...

Dang right that bike is awesome. Did I tell you, or did I tell you?

You'd love Australia by the way...

The thought of you with a hot tub kind of makes me a bit skeered.

I love crusty old Southerners. I remember drafting behind a truck loaded with migrant workers leaving a potato field when I was a junior rider in Alabama. They really dig cyclists down in Mexico, so these guys were hootin' and hollerin' for me to keep up and they towed me around for at least an hour, until I thought I would puke. Turns out, the driver was actually a toothless old bugger slurping down the PBRs while driving. He was just letting the workers have a bit of fun rooting for me. COOL!

roadrash said...

New bike sounds AWESOME, but have you found anyone to ride it yet?

hecklejack said...

that is quite the picture rr

credit card cowboy said...

naw mk, bad mojo to be bringing up going down. I had more than my share this past year.

Tingler said...

I recall motorpacing a bunch of A&F riders in late February. I figure that's the only time I will ever see them behind me. It's amazing you can even get dropped as the support vehicle.