Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Snow Days

This morning we southerners experienced "treacherous and whiteout conditions" the schools were cancelled, roads were closed, and everything shut down. Since I no longer have television I seemed to miss the "news flash" about the severe weather and drove into work on these horrible roads.

This was my backyard which led me to believe that we were in a winter weather advisory. If you look closely, there is some of that white stuff out there.

Today just reinforced how lucky I am to be living in the south. This comment showed up on my facebook wall and it made me think of all my friends and family up in the homeland.

Mark,
We are missing all things Mark Hekman up here in Rochester Hills, Mi. You did the right thing by moving south though as we have doubled our annual yearly snowfall for the season and winter aint over yet. I think we normally get 17 inches annually in metro Detroit and we are up to something like 45 as of yesterday. Lots of shovel use, ...actually my favorite is slowly being worn through the bottom. Anywho, I still have managed to get out and ride about a dozen or so times this year, of course I have to have spikes on my tires, four layers of clothing, chemical toe and hand warmers, lobster mitts, and lots of lights. My neighbors must think the Gay, Eskimo circus has come to town when I go rolling through the neighborhood with my electric blue tights and blinking lights, blazing headlamp, and tires sparking on infrequent patches of bare asphalt. Gotta Love Biking in Michigan!!!!

Ciao, for now
Papa Tony


What I really need is a picture of Papa Tony in that getup...


The weather down here hasn't been all that great, I had to remove a pair of gloves to take this picture, I am not sure whether I was showing off my cookies or my sweet spinaci aerobars which have elevated my fred level to a new all time high.

I rode a ton last week (a ton being 20 hours) and I was fortunate enough to have this guy entertain me for some of it. He rides with his hands on the tops like this all the time, I don't know why it annoys me when he does it, but it just does. I think me being 30 is making me grumpy.

Here is a classic example of us being bored and trying unsuccesfully to be funny.


This weekend I am going to go do "southern cross" which is a dirt road race in the GA mountains. I am excited and looking forward to getting some good pics which usually means I won't ever post them.
Enjoy the weather wherever you are...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

alex is a douche for riding like that.
i have a pic of him in a race sprinting like that

you are a douche for making fun of the harsh southern winter

Jonesy said...

The only thing you need now is a pair of scott drop in's for that ride. I did not know that anybody still rides that 26.8 size crap any more. So if you need those scott bar's let me know I have a pair in the basement to hold the the basement door open when the wind blows!!

Danielle said...

Good luck racing this weekend.

I can't even comment on the winter that you guy's get. I'm bitter :-)

Bob said...

Ha! I still rock the *fake* spinacis on my bikes...

Though I agree, the Scott drop-ins would be the real winners...

Rowbear said...

you should get that dude some aerobars so he won't have to ride with his hands on the tops all the time. I heard he even time-trials that way.

Dave Hutton said...

oh no... the lake! Nightmares still exist of that. Hows the new team?