Sunday, April 15, 2007

finally did it

I finally did it!!! I cracked the top ten in an NRC race!!! I somehow managed to lap the field in dark rain soaked 90 minute crit! IT WAS INSANE.
It was pouring at the start (8pm) and I hit the deck within three laps hard, no worries, took a free lap, worked up to the front again, hit the deck hard and slid 15 meters into a curb, took another free lap, worked my way up to the lead group again, three slid away, i was in the first group, crashed for the third time, took another free lap, worked my way back up, pretended to go for a prime and took off, two bridged up to me and we lapped in probably 9 laps, after that I sat in and tried not to break my collar bone (i think there were at least 2 of those breaks last night). I ended up 6th. There were 120 starters, all super fast people. It was surreal. One racer commented that it was like vietnam. I wasn't in nam, althoug I am old today (my birthday is today--shameless plug) 29 Years Old now...WOW. Anyway it was straight out of a vietnam movie. It was dark and pouring with random super bright lights and there were literally bodies flying EVERYWHERE. One crash I slid 15 meters on the pavement into a curb, really. I would like to thank those kind drunk people on turn 1 for catching me and pulling me back up and encouraging me. People were dumping it everywhere. It was an epic race and I can't believe that I managed to pull out that result. It may not seem that big and all, just 6th, but NRC races are the real deal and to get a top 10 as an amateur is a dream i have had for my entire life.
I almost quit after each crash, but I kept on going, you never know what is going to happen in these races. This is so exciting for me, as the criterium season is gearing up in full swing here within the next two weeks. Hopefully I will survive these crazy races.
I like the rain for the simple reason that if you crash, you slid, and it doesn't hurt to bad, although I have random bruises and cuts all over my body and i tacoed a $1000 wheel--on its maiden voyage. Thank goodness for sponsors.
Ha this is a birthday i will never forget(i think it is narcisistic to mention that a second time). I am so happy, i think my broken wrist was the best thing that ever happened to me by forcing me to chill out and put everything into perspective.
So enough gushing--it is 230am and I just got home from driving 8 hours in the car so I feel a bit weird now and i should prob just go to bed.

12 comments:

JC's said...

You said(I can't believe that I managed to pull out that result.)

You better believe it, your the best!

I wanted to call you to find out how it went, but I knew you would be signing autographs.

Great job!

deehutto said...

dude... KICK ASS!!! thats awsome!!! good to hear I wasnt the only one who went down in wet, only I ended up over the bars in a cold sleety crit in INDY in a group with some of your teammates, I too ruined a new tubie rim on its maiden voyage, but I didnt finish. After having the bike flip and land on you. Your not too happy especially since we were in the final laps! BUT FOR YOU! THATS AWSOME MAN! THATS HUGE!

Al said...

Congrats!

Bob said...

Congratulations Mark--and happy birthday!

Marco Aledia said...

Happy Birthday homeboy! was good fun this weekend having the boys together.... cya in a few weeks...

red said...

nice work heckle. live the dream.

Erich said...

Go man go. Hope you are feelin' it for Athens!!

BVDG said...

the Hekman... so hot right now!

Anonymous said...

happy birthday brown bear.
i'm very proud of you

monkey-nine said...

The whole night, I kept saying to my buddy, "He's a badass!" Again, congratulations, and nice work. You helped make for a really entertaining race. Happy birthday, too.

Where on the course did you crash? We were standing near the line, but had a good view of turn 4, and it seemed that for the first half of the race, every lap had 2-3 guys overcook that corner.

moose said...

AWESOME MARKMAN!!!! Did you hear me cheering you in Rock Hill? FL- what a race!!!!! Guess you're going to have a big head now!!! I finished pretty well myself in Rock Hill: 5th sprints/1st crit/3 road race and first for omnium, then 11th in Macon Race for Cure on Monday.
c ya in the store!

Tim Jackson- Masi Guy said...

Congratulations!

Dude, you rock. I am more than just a little excited and happy for you and the team. Seriously, very happy. You have done the work and you have paid the dues- now you get the glory and results.

We're all proud of you, over here at Masi HQ!